…Or pay the price, and be snubbed by them!
I love my cats! I always have! So, when I discovered that today is Respect your Cat Day, I was thrilled, and wanted to share with my followers! I’m not sure when or where this originated, but do I care? Of course not!
There are lots of ways to celebrate with your cat today, whether you own just a regular moggy (mixed lineage), or have a high-class Persian, a Scottish Fold, Birman, or Tonkinese. My day started with my moggy boys taking turns sleeping under the bed covers with me, or up near m pillow. Much as many of my mornings do…. Later, perhaps I’ll do some trick training with them or have a nap on the couch. Maybe even give them a special treat for their dinner?
There are other ways to enjoy your cat too.
- Stroke them or give them a scratch behind the ears.
- Buy them a new toy.
- Learn a new game to play with them (they like Peek-a-boo!).
- Verbally praise your cat or give them a treat for good behavior.
- Brush them or give them a manicure. I know not all cats like getting their nails trimmed, but I taught mine at an early age, to allow me to touch their paws. However, I still wait until they are relaxed before attempting such a feat!
Here is a great little YouTube video that shows the best way to pet and massage your cat.
So, why do we love our cats so much?
- Cats are very empathetic and intuitive. Come on, we all know that they can feel when we are upset, or feeling sad. They come on our laps, rub against us, or do something to make us laugh.
- They are great with children. Although, as common sense would dictate, be careful introducing a cat to a very young child, and never without adult supervision. I grew up with both dogs and cats, and my parents would never have allowed us to be rough with or disrespectful to them. Children and cats can spend hours on end playing together, and then possibly end up taking a nap together!
- Cats can be hilarious! I’d argue that they are as entertaining as dogs (dog lovers, don’t hate me. I’m a dog person too!). They fall off window ledges, or the back of the couch, and pretend like they meant to do it! Two cats together can have amazing, acrobatic wrestling matches! They can chase little balls or furry mice and even fetch them like a dog. They watch the laundry going round and around in the washing machine. When you step away from your laptop, they walk all over your keyboard to assist with your blog post – seriously, this just happened!!
- They are great company. For the above-mentioned reasons, and so many more! And I’m glad I had my precious fur-babies during the Covid-19 lockdown. It has been a long haul, and I’m sure that anyone else who lives alone will agree that their pets have helped them through these hard times.
I’d like to thank you for taking time to read this post! Please show it some love by clicking the “Like” button, and don’t forget to subscribe to my blog. And if you’d like to support me during these trying times, please consider donating.